Tuesday, November 23, 2004

This and That

Michael is here! I got that big hug that I have been waiting for. He was here at my computer when I arrived home from work at 4:30 yesterday. I am so happy to have him with us for Thanksgiving. We are lucky that we live so close, he in Washington DC and us in Boston, since life could have taken us on many roads that led further out. Mike is my only son, and the only son I ever wanted. I didn't want other children, because he was enough, and that is still the way I feel now. He is just one great person. I often feel so "motherish" when I talk about him, but he makes me very proud.

I just got an email from the bell choir leader at church. We have rehearsals scheduled to start working on Christmas pieces for church services, including a Swedish service that takes place on a Saturday evening. Last Sunday, I played even though I had not been to practice, and had only 15 minutes of practice before church to learn the whole piece. In rehearsal I did it fine, and everyone thought I did great with no rehearsal. Unfortunatly, during the real deal, I lost my place at the repeat and missed a few measures, and then when I found my way others lost theirs. We definitely needed more rehearsal time together. Since we were playing during communion, I don't think folks noticed our problems, and we all pulled it together somehow, but it was not our best performance. No where to go but up, I always say.

Today the guys come from my organization second hand store to pick up the old dining room table. Now that I have seen the new one, this one looks really bad to me. I can't wait to see it leave. We took Michael to see the Las Vegas style furniture store, Jordan's, last night. He said it was "pretty wild". We went to Beantown, where they sell all things Jellybelly, and we all bought our own flavors and laughed like idiots. Mike went a little crazy and his bag cost over $11.00. I like licorice, George hates coconut and Mike likes pina colada. I bought a Jellybelly called Boston Bean, which we all decided was truly awful because it tasted like beans, and seemed awfully funny at the time. We had fun. We watched the water fountain lazer light show with music, and the trapeze people, and then went to visit the table like the one we bought which is being delivered today.

There is a matching china cabinet that is glorious. Large. Daunting. We have measured and measured again to see if it will fit. There is an alcove in the diningroom where it will fit, covering up three small windows. I wish I had paid more attention when I took an interior decorating class in college. It is hard to decide if having a big china cabinet and a big diningroom table in a small room is too much. It is so beautiful that I have decided to add to the donation an antique ricketty table that now looks shabby in comparison. More to come on that decision. George was willing to buy the bottom only of the cabinet last night, but Mike advised us to wait and see how the table looked. I believe I gave Michael a dirty look. We will see. It will take another visit with the measuring tape I think. I love the dining room table. Oh, it is a beautiful piece of furniture and I can't wait to serve a dinner on it. The name of the pattern is Lane National Geographic. I even like the name!

Lots of fun to be had today. It is 7 a.m. and Mike is already here to help me with my grammar and spelling. Michael just wrote a single sheet writer's reference page which is truly awesome for those of us who are "grammar challenged". This is part of a great website on the journals that we both love. Moleskines.

Hail to Qazadoo! We miss you too! Mike went to the MUSH on Everquest last night and did interviews for our guild, Healers United, while I watched from the sidelines and knit yet another scarf and had him write hellos to all my online friends.

Have a great day everyone. See you tomorrow with pictures.