Friday, November 26, 2004

Thanksgiving reviewed

The weather was so warm yesterday that in the afternoon we put on shorts and tee shirts. It is back to the 40's today, and much more seasonal. The Macy's parade was a disappointment, and we all started switching around immediately to see something else. They kept interrupting the parade for some musical act that wasn't very musical, or a country western singer who we didn't tune in to hear. I wish they would stick to floats and marching bands. I suppose since Macy's is near Broadway, they can't help it, but it made channel switching the main activity of the parade for us.

The jello salad was a huge hit and we ate it three times during the day. Instead of the two cups of cold water the package calls for, I add half 7-up, the juices from the cans of fruit and then the rest water. It is sparkly and refreshing. Our cheap Jenny-O turkey could not have tasted better, and the fresh sage was great in the dressing. The last minute flurry of activity and gravy making was not tense, but fun, and we were slinging pots and pans and bowls around the kitchen with the best of them. The gravy was dense and flavorful. Mike helped set the table with the antique china, and Noritake pink goblets. The new table is huge and solid and very nice to serve dinner on. Michael commented that there was lots of room for a change.

At the last minute, I decided to bake the sweet potatoes in the oven, and I took them out of their skins when they were done (and the turkey was almost done too), and sliced them into a small casserole with a little brown sugar and some marshmallows and set them back in when the turkey came out. At that point, my Martha aspirations went out the window. George said, "I don't think we need the orange juice and nuts at this point." We had all been munching on black olives, radishes, jarlsberg and gorgonzola cheese, and we were looking at all the food yet to be served. Just the three of us, remember.

The beans were fresh and simple, the potatoes were mashed just right, the bowls were flying out to the big new dining room table, and it looked like the show was about to begin. We poured our ice water and sat down to a relaxing and heartfelt blessing given by George.

Thanksgiving dinners are always hectic right at the end. We didn't forget to serve anything, but no one ate a single roll. The two types of cranberries were tasty and tart and the turkey could not have been better.

We had a great time preparing for the dinner, and we had a great time eating it. George and I did the cleanup without any trouble at all, while Mike came to the computer to see his online friends.

After dinner we all retired to our couches like Roman emperors and I read half of my book, The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory, about Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and a young women "fool" who served them in their courts during all the intrique. It is a good book and I am reallly enjoying it.

Later in the evening we enjoyed pumpkin pie and apple pie with small scoops of vanilla ice cream. They were both delicious and we just skipped supper completely. I wish I had had more energy to play EQ with Michael at that point, but after about 30 minutes I begged off and caved in to my chair, and went upstairs at 10. I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.

Today is another day. The stores have been open for 2 hours already, and it is only 8:00. I am looking forward to a day of fun with Michael and no cooking! A nice long walk is definitely on the menu.

Take care my friends.