Thursday, November 25, 2004

Thanksgiving morning

I woke up early today and came to the kitchen to listen to the radio and make an apple pie. The turkey doesn't have to go into the oven until around 8 or 9, so there was time to make the pie this morning that I didn't get done last night. I peeled about 10 of the large mutsu apples and made the pie in my largest pie plate and listened to the radio with a candle lit in the window. Thanksgiving morning is one of my favorite times, and I am often alone in the kitchen while others sleep. While the pie bakes, the giblet broth is cooking for the stuffing. One good thing for me at Thanksgiving is that there are no recipes to follow, no notes or scraps of paper, because I have done it so many times before I don't need to follow directions. Still, to get all the details to come together, you have to have a cool head. Most Thanksgivings, I either forget the cranberry sauce or the rolls by the time the dinner is to be served. But even that forgetfulness is planned for by now.

I rolled out some extra crust and cut a turkey shape freehand, and added that bit of feathers that hangs down from his sides. I put him on the top of the pie as decoration. I put a clove on his head for his eye. He is in there now, puffing up nicely, as turkeys do. Sometimes I use a bit of foodcoloring in water to color that extra bit of artwork on my pies, but since turkeys are mostly brown, I didn't do that today. He will brown anyway all by himself in there.

The main turkey is on the counter getting rid of the morning chill, and getting ready to be stuffed with cornbread, croutons, celery and onions. I bought fresh sage at the Idylwild fruit and vegetable market yesterday. I noticed that their fresh turkeys were very expensive, $37.00, probably organic,and mine is just a little Jenny-O frozen from the supermarket at $7.00 total. I'm sure she will be just fine.

I'm going to drink tea and wait until the broth is ready for the stuffing. By 9:00 the Macy's parade will be on, my family will be up, and the turkey will be in the oven. Let's see, 15 pounds at 20 minutes per pound, plus time to sit,...yep, we'll be at the Thanksgiving table as usual around 4:00 this afternoon.

Have a great Thanksgiving Day and many blessings to you and yours.

gobble gobble