Monday, November 01, 2004

Moving on to Election Day

I am not sure that it helps to tell people how you are going to vote. I am going to vote for Kerry, but I would probably have trouble changing anyone's vote with my reasons. It will not be the first time that I have confronted a loved one in my own family with the idea that their vote is going to cancel out mine. It is not important. What is important is that we still love each other, we still get along as a family, and we still VOTE! I work in the non-profit sector, and most of my compatriots are going to vote for Kerry, but a lot of my friends are Republicans and are going to vote for Bush. They think Kerry is wishy washy and says whatever someone tells him to say. The Kerry voters think that Bush lied about Iraq, ruined our deplomacy for a hundred years, and got us into a war that was unnecessary and has killed 1200 American soldiers. Too many people have died because of this "war on terror".

I find it hard to believe that all the post-9/11 bluster about finding and killing our enemies has not resulted in the capture of Osama bin Laden. I cannot believe that he is still out there, televising propaganda. It is a different kind of war that we fight now, and troops are not the only important part. Intelligence can make or break us. Kerry says that he understands that, and Bush just says that we should not doubt him, we should not question him, and we should vote for him. But things are in a real mess. Everyone knows that. So, I will vote for Kerry.

Our soldiers are dying from pipe bombs hidden in abandoned cars. Our enemies are not afraid of American might, because they believe that they will go to heaven because of their sacrifice. American troops in WWII could not fathom the kamikaze pilots, they had never seen such a thing. My father fought in WWII, in the Pacific, late in the war, having been drafted when he was 40 years old, and told me about the Japanese committing suicide against us. He said that scared him most of all. Now we know the feeling.

So, I will vote for Kerry tomorrow, as I remember the Viet Nam war, and the anti-war rallies that I attended at that time, and I will vote for the candidate who seems to want to get out of this war too. When and how any President can do that, remains to be seen.