Monday, November 29, 2004

Sweet Stuff

I am very interested in all things Australian, and a goal of mine is to go visit that huge, diverse and beautiful continent, and really take enough time to be able to see something. Last night I caught a piece of a food channel show about an Aussie pining for his mom's Pavlova. I immediately had to Google it. I had heard of this dessert confection long ago, but never realized that it was claimed by Australians as a favorite tradition of Christmas. It is basicly meringue, baked with a vanilla custard and fruit filling. It looks sweet and frothy and I'm going to make it one of these days when I have someone here to eat it for me. Another dessert that I have always been interested in, but which seems very foreign to me is a Buche du Noel, or Yule Log, which is so French. It is chocolate cream filling and sponge cake made to look like a log in the woods, and I stop reading the recipe when they get to the marzipan mushrooms. But, you never know. I may try it one year. The last thing George and I need right now is a Pavlova or a Buche, Noel or otherwise. Maybe we should take a few hints from this the ballerina, and go get some exercise instead.

It sure didn't take long after Thanksgiving to get me thinking about food again. George and I have decided to make a Gingerbread House this year, so we are discussing that plan now. I have made them before, and they are lots of fun, but you need to have another person or a child help you to make it even more enjoyable.