Saturday, November 20, 2004

Happy Saturday

It's Saturday morning and I'm up with the birdies. It is true that I often get up earlier on weekends than I do on weekdays. There is so much to do and I wake up with my head full of plans. Today the cleaners are coming at 9 and George and I are going to New Hampshire to buy apples for the Thanksgiving apple pies. We go to Mack's Apple Farm in Londonderry, which is where I used to own a farm of my own. 20 acres next to the orchards. It was a wonderful old house, and a real measure of how much work one could do in one day. I don't own a farm anymore and I'm glad. They are pretty to look at and fun to live in but the expense and hard work of maintaining that much property and a nine room house and outbuildings was not easy. Frankly, I was over my head, but I'm glad I did it, and I'm glad that part of my life is over.

At Mack's we buy a large yellow apple called Mutsu. I don't see them anywhere else. They are twice as large as normal apples and are crisp and delicious and just right for pies. They also have Macintosh and Gala and Delicious, but those Mutsu are worth the trip. They are so big that when we eat one, we often cut it in half and share it. They also have wonderful squash and I probably won't be able to resist a few of those.

For Thanksgiving I am going to make an apple and a pumpkin pie. I found this recipe on the web this morning and it is exactly like mine. I usually cut out a heart or an apple from the extra crust and put that on top and sprinkle with sugar.

This is the only time of year I make pumpkin pie and I like it with real whipped cream on top. I'm also making a blueberry bundt cake for breakfast and I'm looking at other recipes. Mike better come hungry! There are only three of us for dinner, so I don't make a lot of any one thing. I hear about families that have 20 people or more for Thanksgiving dinner, but we are a small happy group. I haven't decided what vegetables I will have, but it will depend on what I see at the market later today and tomorrow. Our turkey will be less than 20 pounds.

On December 11th, we are having a Christmas party for our church council here at our house. On the invitation, I said, "you are invited to a Christmas Fiesta". I made homemade invitations with rubber stamps in a holly pattern. The dinner will be a buffet, there will be up to 12 couples, and the house will be rather crowded. Some people will have to eat on their laps, so I will make something easy to eat with a fork. I am going to make a taco casserole and some southwestern flavored dishes. People will bring desserts and do a "cookie swap" at the end. I got the idea of furnishing take home containers so I will not have so many desserts left over. Much healthier that way for us.

So, I'm off to look at recipes. Planning is half the fun.

Happy Thanksgiving preparation time!