Thursday, January 13, 2005

Woe is us

I'm off my blogger schedule because I am home recovering from this virus thingy. I don't know what it is, but I dip into feeling bad, and have to go to bed for awhile to read, and then I'm feeling better and up again looking for something to get into. Whether I feel ok or not seems to depend on how long it has been since I took the Advil. I am routing for those fancy antibiotics the doctor gave me: only six pills to be taken in five days. Looks like a miracle drug. We can be hopeful, anyway.

I have been catching up on my New Yorkers and always want to encourage Mike to get a subscription because I know he would like the movie reviews and the articles. But it is not easy keeping up with all that to read every week. I usually like four out of five articles, and I even look at the Broadway openings, art galleries, club acts, etc. Most of these folks I have never heard of. I suppose if I lived in New York City, I would recognize these musicians and artists, but then again, if I lived in New York City I would probably still not go out much at night. I used to have a friend who lived in New York near Columbia University and I would go there with big plans to go to a certain club or hear a certain group. Then I found out that the place doesn't really get going until midnight and usually doesn't even open until 11:00 p.m. Subways at midnight are not something I "dig", if you know what I mean. My friends rarely went out after dark. I mean, other than out-of-work artists, and maybe Paris Hilton, who can stay up that late? So, I read the "goings on about town" listings in the front of the magazine and wonder if I will catch a name that might be familiar. Not. Gosh I'm so out of it.

It was a particularly ugly looking day here in Boston. The weatherman was talking about a balmy 60 degrees today, but it never went above 50, and it was the coldest, wettest 50 you could imagine. The snow is evaporating and there is a lot of fog going from the ground up, making the snow and the sky about the same color and almost the same density. It is really dreary. Mike just told me that it was warm and sunny in Washington DC and he had to take his jacket off. Here I am, knitting a warm woolen hat for George to wear for more show snoveling. I think it is time for a vacation in the land of the sun. Any land, any sun. I am often amazed that I call my mother at 8:00 p.m. our time, and she is still outside in the back yard enjoying the birds and the sunshine when it has been dark here for hours. It doesn't seem fair. I am light deprived!

Oh enough ranting. I think it will be good for me to get to work tomorrow, have a good strong cappucino at the coffee cafe and try to get out amongst the people again. In the meantime, I'm going to surf for Caribbean vacation packages.

Dream on.