Monday, January 10, 2005

Back to reality

Monday mornings always come as such a shock. I wonder what it is like to wake up and not have to go to work on Mondays. Oh well. I finished the black scarf yesterday, and I think it is very nice. I was a little worried that it looked too flashy with the bright red, but when I added the black and red together, it toned it down just enough I think. I will take it to the coffee shop this morning and see if Lola likes it. I do not think I will take $50 for it though. I am going to ask her for $35 and see what happens. [update: I took it to her this morning and she loved it and is going to tell her friends. I left my "Wildflower Designs" business card. The price I decided on is $40, which is about the cost of the yarn, doubled, and she will pay me tomorrow. So, that went great!]

I am enjoying a book that Mike got me for Christmas: Stephen King "On Writing". He is just a great writer, and this is an informal autobiography. I read about half of it yesterday and wish I could stay home to read today. Oh, I said that.

The sun has not been out here in Boston in days...I don't remember when...so maybe a little sunshine will come our way soon. The sky is "snow gray", but it is supposed to be 40 degrees, so the snow and ice will be melting. Last year, leaving the house, I fell on the front walk, and landed with my arms outstretched with my totebag in one hand and my purse in the other, like a rather shocked snow angel. I was walking one minute and lying there looking up at the blue sky the next. It would have been funny if it wasn't so not-funny. From that, I had a case of "whiplash" and a sore neck for months, so I'm really careful about black ice these days. We used to laugh about the dire warnings of "black" ice Boston, but not anymore.

In the early seventies, my mother-in-law, who at that time was an elderly woman who had lived in New York City in the same apartment in Washington Heights for 45 years, used to say, "You can't be too careful." We used to make a joke of that. Ha Ha. But, as I leave the steps of my house, I don't feel like laughing anymore.

Listen to your elders, have a great day all, ...and be careful.