Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Snow and traffic

The first time I visited Boston on a business trip 15 years ago, I asked the man who was taking me back to the airport if he would get off the highway and go through some downtown streets so I could see some historial sites and buildings. In a very adamant way, he said, "no, I can't pull off this highway or we would never get back to the airport." I was rather shocked at his reply. What he meant was that once you are in one traffic jam in Boston, you don't want to get out of that one because the one over there is worse.

George has visitors at his office and they asked him yesterday where a certain steak house in Brighton was. We were incredulous this morning as he told me that, that anyone in their right mind would go that far for steak: about 3 miles. It isn't the miles in Boston, it is the headaches involved with trying to go off the beaten path. Traffic snarls are so a part of our daily lives that we do anything to make things easier, and that involves not going to a lot of "off the beaten track" places. I haven't been to Brighton (a very crowded mostly college community) in 10 years!

No one can believe it this morning, but we are going to get another 6" to a foot of snow today. It is coming down right now, very light flakes, but looking like it isn't going to quit snowing ever. I am going to have to get to work anyway, and am planning on just pretending like it isn't snowing, and brush off my car and go. I have a lot of things on my to-do list for today to get ready for my trip tomorrow.

Oh please, Lord, let the airplanes go on time tomorrow. My flight is early, 8:35 a.m. Snow won't hold them down, but blowing snow will; visibility is the key. We will forge ahead today and hope for the best.

Say a little prayer to the snow gods for me ok?

Getting out the dogsled now.