Thursday, March 17, 2005

Four leaf clovers

This is a story from the Washington Post this morning:
MEXICO CITY -- Every afternoon, Gustavo Hernandez puts a sign on his old station wagon, parks at a busy intersection and waits for customers in need of "a bit of Irish luck."

Hernandez has no connection to Ireland, though he does have reddish whiskers. Still, he sells thousands of four-leaf clovers, potted in little planters, to Mexicans hedging their bets on love, looking for jobs or just hoping for a little change of fortune.

Gustavo Hernandez, 46, sells four-leaf clovers, potted in little planters, out of his car in Mexico City. "Everyone needs good luck," Hernandez said.
By Mary Jordan
Washington Post Foreign Service
Thursday, March 17, 2005; Page A15

--------
At my mother's house in Oklahoma, there has always been a couple of patches of four-leaf clovers in own lawn. As a child I was always eager to look through a patch of clover to try to discover the elusive four-leaf. I still do it when I have the inclination and the time to stop and smell the clover, but I hardly ever find one anymore. As a child, I found them all the time. When I found one, I would pick it and mom would dry it and put it up on the refrigerator for me. One day, when I was out looking through the lush patches of clover outside the kitchen door, I discovered a whole patch of four leaf clovers! Mom and I were very excited about this. She and I have kept this secret for years. We didn't want people to pick them and we didn't either. They grew and multiplied. There was one patch outside the back door, and another nearer the garage. I bet they are still there although it has been 20 years since I looked. I had forgotten about them until I read this story about Mexico City today.

I think it just reminds me that we can find wonderful things just about everywhere if we look for them, and whether those little things bring us luck or not, they are lucky finds. So, may the road rise to meet you and may the four leaf clovers be right outside your back door!

Have a great St. Patrick's Day and the luck 'o the Irish to you.