Saturday, March 05, 2005

A day off

I took a personal day off from work yesterday and just did what I wanted to do. I read New Yorkers, re-organized my jewelry and handbags, puttered around the kitchen putting things away and went to the grocery store for close to $100 worth of low-fat items. I bought fresh halibut, shrimp, chicken breasts, small plain yogurts, pickles, chicken broth, fresh veggies, salad dressings, olive oil, a pineapple and a cantaloup, two kinds of high fiber Kashi cereal and a lot more. I made "free soup" which is a Weight Watchers recipe that is great for a snack and has no points. It is low-fat chicken broth with fresh vegetables like spinach, cabbage, carrots, celery, onion, broccoli and cauliflower. I add a little Cajun spice and bayleaf and peppercorns. It is delicous, and really takes the edge off when you are hungry.

We were going to go to a movie last night but couldn't find anything that we wanted to see. Hotel Rwanda is going to be good, but I wasn't in the mood to be depressed. Today I looked at IMDB's list of top 250 movies, and almost all my favorite movies are on that list. Even The Lion in Winter is on there, and I didn't think anyone loved that movie except me. I am a big Katherine Hepburn fan and like almost all her movies, but this one hits all my "history buff" buttons too.

Today I am working on knitting a pair of slippers for a man who plays bridge with my mother. She talked about this project a lot when I was there, and sent me the man's pair of old slippers to use as a pattern. This is very important to her. It took a while for these slippers to make it to the top of my list of things to do, but she has talked about it a lot. The internet, which knows and tells all, had the pattern, which is very old, maybe the fifties, maybe before. So today I will make a "test" pair and see how it works out, and then get the bulky wool yarn to work on the navy blue pair she wants me to make for him. I met him and he is a very nice man and I'm happy to do it. I have read that they work up fast, and someone said on a knitting page that they had made 100 pair of these to give away. I will be happy if one pair works out. Once I know what I am doing, they should work up fast.

It is cold and sunny here in Boston. The snow and ice are not melting fast and walking in our driveway is rather precarious. Near where I park, there is gutter draining from the roof, and the water freezes to an bumpy ice rink right there. We know to be careful. George fell on that patch two years ago one morning while I was in the shower, and the first I knew of it was when the rescue fireman brought him to the front door. A neighbor had called them when George hollered for help. He was fine after a few days of aches and pains.

Anyway, I had a great day off yesterday, reading and doing things that pleased me, and today is a day for more fun to come.

Have a good one.