Thursday, July 07, 2005

World of Warcraft

Michael and Michelle bought me a new massive role-playing interactive game called World of Warcraft when I was in Washington. It was a big surprise. I wanted it, but I couldn't really justify paying for the game and the monthly fee now that my salary has been decreased because of fewer hours. Michael is picking up the monthly fee too. Thank you Michael! I have been playing a few hours each day and now have my Human Paladin, Elfauna, up to level 5. The game is beautiful, and the music is soothing (so far) and I'm have a good time. But the main reason I wanted to play was that so many of my old friends from EQ have moved to this game, and I wanted to be able to write and talk to them again. It was a real joy to have them say "Hi Lady Elf!" and ask me to join their guild, Elusive Path, when I got there. What a joy to be with them again.

This game has a mail box, so we can send messages even when we are not around, and it has inns, where your character can rest and renew with rest points, even when you are not playing. For someone who has never played one of these games or joined so many people from all over the world who are playing them...well...I can't even describe it. There are a lot of people who know more, play better and get more stuff than I do, but none who have any more fun than I do. Something about putting those earphones on and logging into another world is addictive and soothing, and makes the problems of real life go away. And it is a healthy addiction, not like eating, drinking or smoking. It is an addiction to friendliness and comradery and community. Personally, I don't think that is a bad thing at all.

Have a great day. Thanks again, Mike.