Friday, July 08, 2005

Vacation begins!

I extended my vacation time and took today off too, since George already had the day off. Today will be spent making the final preparations for the vacation to the cabin in Northern New Hampshire. I'm now addicted to weather.com, which says that we will see some sun, some rain, and it will be in the high seventies during the day to upper fifties at night. No big surprise there. I was hoping for sun every day, but the hurricanes and disturbances down south seem to want to make it rain everywhere. George bought Scrabble yesterday, since we can't find our old one, and last night we shopped for the final time for groceries. Our bags are packed, we're ready to go....

The forecast up there is for rain next weekend, but by that time, we will be so relaxed and happy we won't care. If you are looking for hot sun and swimming weather, Northern New Hampshire should probably not be your destination. It is often cool and sometimes cloudy and that is what the fisherman love anyway. There is no lack of beautiful streams and rivers, and even a waterfall with a picnic table beside it. We are anxious and ready. I have lots of books to read, and I'm taking my beading supplies and some knitting. I could hardly sleep thinking about the last minute stuff...like pliers to make barbless hooks so we can throw the fish back in easily and without hurting them. More little tricks you can learn on the internet, which knows and sees all.

I will take my Moleskine journals, and my camera and log the trip as we go so that I can blog it when we get back. We hope to do a better job of bird and wildlife watching this year, and really make an effort to see those bald eagles up there. We also intend to fish off the dock every evening, since we had so much fun there last year. It is a beautiful place and hearing the loons in the morning while I knit on the screen porch is one of my very favorite things about this kind of vacation.

We made reservations for a bed and breakfast in Waterbury, Vermont next Saturday on the way home. It is the home of Ben and Jerry's and is really beautiful countryside. Vermont is very special scenery like no where else in the world. I guess if you compared it to a country, it is a little like Switzerland. We thought we could extend our vacation one more day, and since we check out of the cabin at 10 in the morning, we have the whole day to drive through the Vermont countryside and explore. Ice cream? You bet!

I'll see you when we get back in a week with lots of pictures and stories! Take care and be safe and have a great week.