Wednesday, June 22, 2005

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

I am a little thunderstruck this evening. I found out today that I am being "downsized". My hours at work are being cut from 40 to 30 hours a week. That means I will have one day off, my choice, probably a Friday, and two other hours off of another day. My paycheck will be hit hard. Right now, I'm still reeling from the conversation with management this afternoon. The budget for the non-profit where I work has been hit and they are taking a person or a part of a person from every department in the agency. My vacation days will not be affected but health insurance costs will double and...it is not good news. They assured me that I would be given the biggest bonus they could manage when bonus time comes around, in order to help my bottom line. They said I was gracious, and I guess I was. Immediately I started thinking about making jewelry and selling it and making a tidy profit.

I have a lot of things that are running through my mind right now, but I think I choose to be encouraged and very hopeful that this will be a change for the better. I feel that this may be a really good opportunity for me to turn my talents at making jewelry and other crafts into something profitable. I'm going to set up my own website, start selling on Ebay, and using my time away from my 9 to 5 job to step up to the creativity plate and really try for a run. Why not? Now I can have the free time I have always needed in order to market my jewelry and make a go of it.

I also think that working 30 hours will improve my view of things, since I will have more time to do what I love and more energy to let the creative juices flow. It is a big world out there, and now I'm going to take some time to enjoy it.

More later on this subject when I have my ducks gathered again. Right now all the ducks are scattered all over the place, but soon they will line up in a nice neat row, and I'm sure I will be fine. I am leaving for Washington DC tomorrow to visit Michael and I can hardly wait!