Friday, December 10, 2004

We're having a party!

Our Christmas Fiesta party is tomorrow night. I still have a lot to do to get ready.

I have decided that giving parties is mainly hard because the things that you need every day in your house have to go somewhere else for the evening. The stack of bills and newspapers by the front door, the knitting basket on my chair, the coats in the coat closet, the Christmas wrappings, the kitchen appliances that I use and just leave out rather than put away every time. Making room for extra people in our homes is hard. I do not have a party house, I have a comfy house.

I have learned not to put things too far away or we never find them again. I still need to pay my bills after all. This afternoon one of my tasks is to rearrange the china in the new china cabinet, and leave only the display pieces on the shelves in the diningroom. And put away some more things that will be in the way. I guess you could say I have bonded with all my stuff, and I don't mind looking at it. Yarn makes me happy, and when I put it in the bins, I forget I have it and buy more. So, what's the use? In the "party" world, you have to make room for folks to sit down their plate and glasses and walk around without hitting something.

I am not clearing out the house. I have decided that my things are important, that is what I like, who I am, and they are staying out in the open. Besides, china put away is china about to be broken in an out-of-the-way box somewhere.

People will just have to squeeze in between my china platters, china cabinets, yarn baskets and pretty candles. This is the way I live my life, and this is our home. If I wanted a party where things are out of the way, I would have rented a hall.

I'm sure everything will get done, and we will have a great time, and the food will be delicious, the house will look nice, and then everyone will go home and we will be able to put our stuff back the way we like it.

Home Sweet Home.