Saturday, December 18, 2004

The last Saturday before Christmas

George and I got up with the birdies and left at 7:30 to go to the Mall to beat the rush. Actually, we had a very nice time, and I got the presents that I wanted and there were few lines. I looked around as I went up the escalator in Macy's and said that all I saw were serious shoppers; women with low shoes, light weight clothes and a determined look on their faces. We shopped for an hour before I even had my first cup of coffee.

On the way home we stopped for a late breakfast and got the new tree from the storage locker. I know that may not sound as romantic as going out to the country to cut our own, but it works for me. Actually, when I lived on a farm, we used to go to our own woods and cut one, usually a rather spindly white fur, and that was just fine. But now I think that our new artificial tree is fine too. This year I am doing a New Orleans tree, with large pink poinsettas and red roses and pearl white and gold balls hung with ribbons. The inspiration was a tree I saw in the South last Christmas, and so far it is coming together nicely. I have wire ribbon in maroon brocade and have spaced large bows around for balance. It is really pretty if I say so myself, and we only have to please ourselves, right?

This is a picture of Thunder posing under the half decorated tree. She didn't wait long to become the Christmas kitty.