Sunday, December 12, 2004

The party's over

The party last night was a big success. I'm tired. There were 14 people, which meant that at one point, the livingroom was bursting with people and one person was sitting on the floor. I used the antique china plates which are large, and people ate on their laps. Someone said this morning at church that it was a really relaxing evening and they had a great time camped in a cushy sofa with plate full of food enjoying the conversation. There was a lot of laughter throughout the evening. So that's a very good thing.

The Mexican casserole that I had never made before was great, with just enough "kick" from the chilis in the Mexican style canned tomatoes, but not so much that it was overpowering. I didn't have to add anything like chilis or Tabasco. The honey baked ham was very nice, and I surrounded it with sugared tangerines, limes and kiwi. The salad was fresh, the fruit and veggie platters were great for the vegetarian guest, and everyone liked the homemade cranberry sauce, maple syrup baked beans and the cinnamon apples.

I knew everything was ok because I sat down with my guests and really enjoyed the meal too.

Before dinner people snacked on smokehouse almonds, Cajun crab dip, guacamole and the olive spread on melba toasts. Guests brought chocolate covered strawberries, lemon bars, several kinds of cookies and a Christmas frosted bundt cake. I made two big casseroles, and we only ate one of them. Since the other was untouched, we just froze it for a dinner when we have company at Christmas. That will help with the Christmas rush.

George and I were pretty exhausted, but happy, and we decided that even though it is a lot of hard work to give a Christmas party, it is one time of the year when the house is all picked up, all decorated, and very festive. It is worth it. A really good friend is coming over today to help us eat some leftovers and watch a little football.

I'm looking forward to a day of feet up in front of the Patriots game.

Joy to the world.