Sunday, February 27, 2005

Shopping the Outlet Mall

The camera is found! I'm so happy. I would really hate to lose a camera that cost $279. That still seems like a lot of money for a camera to me. When I got into the car yesterday, George had put it prominantly on the car dashboard. He had found it on the floor of the car between the driver's seat and the door. Luckily, it was snug in it's case and didn't get hit by the door. I was very happy to see it.

We went to Kittery in Maine and walked around the outlet mall for a couple of hours. We always find things there that are bargains. Yesterday we bought two casserole carriers for taking hot dishes to church. That sounds so old-fashioned. They were $1.99 each. Also perfect for two-people picnics in the forest preserve near our house this summer I thought. (If summer ever comes. Our forecase is for 6-12" inches of snow on Monday night. Nobody can believe it.)George slipped a rather expensive cookie scoop into the cart to add to his cookie scoop collection. I also bought my second Black and Decker rice cooker at the Corning outlet. I don't like the smaller Salton one we bought, which burns the rice on the bottom.

We went through the Mikasa, Villeroy and Boch, Reed and Barton and Lenox to see what they had. Villeroy and Boch is still my favorite china store, but we didn't find anything we couldn't live without.

On the way home, we stopped at Tuesday Morning and I found a heavy beige tablecloth that exactly matches the fabric on the back of our new diningroom chairs. It is heavy and simple. Tuesday Morning is an outlet of rather outlandish once-expensive items from Neiman Marcus. Yesterday I realized that most New Englanders don't really appreciate those rather "southern-influenced" items of fancy. I had a good laugh with a fellow shopper over a wreath made of rusty wire and broken terracotta flower pots with a raffia bow.

George and I have one sentence we say when we look at things. "Where are we going to put it?". If the answer to that makes sense, then we ponder it some more. Otherwise, we walk away.

George is a man who likes to go shopping and for that I am very very grateful. It is a rare man indeed who can enjoy a trip to the shopping mall.

And, Happy Day, we found the camera.

Have a great Sunday.