Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A sign that fall is here

I can tell that fall has arrived when things start to get really busy at church. Sunday is Rally Day, and I volunteered to be a Sunday School teacher for December and January to the middle grades. I am looking forward to it. In order to get enough volunteers, they tried splitting the year into months and signing people up for a month at a time, since many people were not willing to teach for a full year. I sort of understand that, since it seems like such a big committment, and it is so important to be there every Sunday. I'm looking forward to being a Sunday school teacher and I'm sure the kids will have a lot to teach me. I'm hoping to have some special things for the kids to do, and in some way tie making things and crafts in with the Bible lessons. It seems to me that creativity is really important, and that it would be a fun way to illustrate a Bible lesson.

George and I are hospitality hosts at church next Sunday and I will make my favorite Lemon Grove Bundt cake and we are going to buy a decorated sheet cake for Rally Day. George will make oatmeal apricot cookies too, since people really love his cookies.

The volunteer lists keep growing at church at this time of year, and I have put my name on several lists. One idea I had last weekend, was to make a Thanksgiving Dinner at church that the whole community would be invited to. This would take place the weekend before Thanksgiving, and we would serve a turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Church members would be asked to donate $ for their dinner, and also bring a dessert, and all donations will go to Lutheran Disaster Relief to aid Hurrican Katrina survivors. I envision a really good turkey dinner and a big buffet of sweets and desserts to share. Others in the community could donate if they want, or they can come and enjoy a free and bounteous early Thanksgiving dinner. Others at church who I spoke too seemed very enthusiastic, so I'm going to work on making that happen. Sounds like something I can do to help others.

Fall is a time for ideas, for getting geared back up for school, church, and even upcoming holidays. George and I will be going to visit Michael for Thanksgiving, and are going to have to save some extra money to pay for the gas at these high prices. But that won't stop us.

Have a great day.