Friday, September 02, 2005

Hard times

Over the past year and a half, when writing this blog, I have always tried to keep it optimistic and fun. Today is a hard day in America, with so many people hurting and dying in the Gulf Coast. George and I are staying home for the Labor Day weekend, and it just seems like a very very sad time. We are looking for outlets for our energy that are useful and uplifting. I am doing a lot of praying.

Today I am concentrating on making jewelry for the art show in two weeks and we are making a trip to the bead store this morning. I shed a few tears this morning, but they didn't help. I've sent money, but it is a drop in the bucket. This is the disaster of the century for the US and it is going to take years of working together to make this better for all these homeless people. I'm sure the people of Houston are scared too, and wondering what they will do with 75,000 homeless people, or more. Other people in American cities are also going to face this onslaught of folks who need everything. This is not a problem that is going to be solved easily. We are going to find out what we are made of.

Today my heart is with the people in New Orleans and I hope they get them out soon. It seems impossible to me that we can't just drop National Guard troops and medics with food and water into the convention center and take care of all those people. I'm sure there are emergencies all over the gulf coast that we are not hearing anything about. I have had to turn the television off this morning because the news is so upsetting that it is demoralizing. We need to take care of the healthy ones so we can take care of the sick ones. It is called "taking care of the caregivers". We are all going to be caregivers now.

We will keep praying for some light at the end of this long dark tunnel. I look at my New Orleans things in the house and I just want to cry. I'm sure millions of people feel the same way I do.

Let's mobilize and do something to help all these people when they get to the next phase of their lives. God is good, New Orleans will be back, and somehow we will get through this.

See you tomorrow.