Monday, September 19, 2005

The Flying Field

Yesterday was George's remote controlled flying club picnic. Their field is near the salt marsh, not far from the city of Boston, and you can see for miles around from their vantage point. The skyscape of Boston is in the distance. It is a really pretty place to be, and they have it gated, so it is a private place, and very serene. The salt marsh is huge there and you can see for miles and miles. He met a friend there, and spent the whole day visiting, flying his new plane, and eating hamburgers. I dropped by at lunch time and had a delicious hamburger, and stayed for a short while, and then it was back to my jewelry bench at home.

Since I moved to Boston, I have always thought that we are lucky here to have the salt marshes, which attract lots of birds and wildlife, and which provide wide open spaces where no people or buildings can invade. When the tide comes in, they turn into lakes, and when the tide is out, they are mud flats, grass, and reeds. They are always perfect for sea birds of all kinds. I imagine those muddy little clams are in there too, but I have never wanted to dig for them. What a messy business that is!

Before I moved to Boston, I thought that there was beach and there was ocean, but I never invisioned the large green or blue spaces of the salt marsh. It is one of my very favorite views and places to visit. When you drive by the salt marsh, you can smell the ocean miles before you reach the shore. Any salt marsh is a peaceful place indeed.

My weekend was spent packing for my trip to Oklahoma, and checking on my Ebay listings, and making chandelier earrings. Each earring takes about 1 hour to make, and then...the hard part comes when you have to match the other earring exactly. I have a new technique for making invisible head pins, by turning the wire, and pinching it with my pliers until it just right to fit the inside of the bead. I may not have invented this technique, but it is perfect when it works. Always it takes several tries to get it just right. A dollop of super glue makes sure that the bead stays there forever. All that takes a lot of time. I worked for three hours on one pair of earrings yesterday afternoon. They are made with jade, crystal and jasper and are really pretty if I say so myself. Maybe I'll keep 'em.

Have a great day.