Saturday, May 21, 2005

Busy Saturday

I have 15 things on my to do list today. George is outside mowing the lawn. The forecast for Boston is 7 days of rain. Summer will get here eventually, but not any time soon I think. We are going to the grocery store, and then to buy a new lawn chair in a pastel color for me at Linens and Things--$15 with a 20% off coupon. I plan on using it on the deck when I get home from work--if the sun ever shines again. Then we come home to a busy time of baking and cooking in the kitchen.

I am baking two bundt cakes today for coffee hour tomorrow--apricot and lemon, and also cooking meatballs and vermicelli and chicken divan to take to Dave today to help with his anemia. We took lasagna and extra sauce, a banana and oatmeal raisin cookies to him yesterday. I got the recipes off the healthy recipes web site, googleing "food for anemia". Spinach seems to be a key ingredient.

We went to the Sparks craft studio open house for members last night and took George's oatmeal cookies to share. I talked with the new friends I made at the last event and we had fun talking and munching on crackers and cheese and peapods and dip. They had wine and beer and sodas. I am a teetotaler and George rarely has an alcoholic beverage. We enjoyed our diet-cokes. People were laughing about a wine and cheese beading session they had when they took a class in beading charms for wine glasses. I surmise that drinking wine and beading don't really mix that well. I bought some splashy new beads to crochet into a blue and silver necklace. I can't wait to get started on it. Maybe after my 15 item list is done.

Tomorrow we are coffee hosts and I know people look forward to home-made cakes when it is our turn. I think I will take my orchid as the centerpiece. It is still blooming, but is at the end of it's cycle, so I might as well share the wealth. It has been a magnificent creature in our house for months now and I'm sure I'll never get another that is so prolific.

I'm am also the lector at church tomorrow, and I get to read Genesis 1:1 - 2:4, the whole thing: "In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters..." It is really beautiful poetry and I'm looking forward to reading it out loud.

Have a great Saturday. (Especially Mike and Michelle in the Blue Ridge Mountains.)