Saturday, May 14, 2005

Kingdom of Heaven

I went to see the movie, Kingdom of Heaven today. It was raining and I thought it would be fun to go to a movie by myself. The absolutely best thing about this movie, which stars Orlando Bloom, is the trebuchet that the Saladin used against the walls of Jeruselem. I could have watched that all day. In the far distance you see the shiny balls of fire over the massed army, and then...whoop...here they come into the walls as ferocious fireballs. It was great. The rest of the movie was rather a slump, but I still had a good time. I kept thinking, "boy, Michael is really going to hate this movie." It was confusing, and the story seemed confusing, so they kept having to remind us of things, or show us where we were with subtitles. It was a clumsy movie. But Orlando Bloom did a good job I thought and I enjoyed it. My bar is set pretty low maybe when it comes to historical fiction.

I love trebuchets and recently saw a TV documentary about them on PBS.

When I came out of the movie, the weather has changed remarkably to a beautiful sunny evening. I'm out of here to go sit on the deck with a pot of tea.

See you later.