Saturday, October 07, 2006

The Wool Tour

George and I just got home from a wonderful day in the country. We picked up my friend Connie this morning, stopped for our Dunkin' Donuts (like any good Bostonite would), and headed for a bead show in Marlborough. We didn't know what to expect, and our expectations were exceeded! Beads everywhere! I found that the importers who had booths were selling things at half of the prices marked, and sterling silver was selling for 50 cents a gram. A bargain! I bought lovely gemstones, Bali silver, gorgeous clasps, sterling chain and copper findings. THEN we found an importer who sold colorful and interesting rhinestone pins. We made a haul. Then we went to the car and had a bottle of water, and then we went BACK and bought MORE rhinestone pins.

After our beading frenzy, we drove up to Henniker, New Hampsire, and the first stop on the Wool Tour that takes place every year. I wanted to show Connie my favorite yarn stores, and old hangouts when I had a farm in Londonderry and knit about 23 hours a day. We went to the Wool Room in Antrim, and met up with my old friends Ann and Brian, and had a great time looking at the very plush and "hairy" angora rabbits and seeing all the antique spinning wheels. Ann taught me how to spin, and we have always loved to go there and see her. She is so sweet and gentle. I remember my Saturday mornings with her in "class". Just she and I, two spinning wheels, and a small wood stove cranking the heat. Wonderful.

All this made me feel that I better get the oil out and grease up my Ashford spinning wheel to make some beautiful handspun yarn. Nothing like a trip to these quaint shops in the middle of the blazing colors of fall in New Hampshire to make one feel that it is time to spin! I bought skeins of red wool for socks, and a pattern for a charming cable tea cozy. Christmas is coming! Anyone want a tea cozy? I hope so.

Tonight we turned the heat on for the first time. I'm happily crocheting another poncho and watching the Yankees lose. Go team.

Have a great night.