Thursday, June 02, 2005

Forty Licks

Ev'rywhere I hear the sound of marching, charging feet, boy
'Cause summer's here and the time is right for fighting in the street, boy....
Street Fighting Man

I did my walk tonight. I listened to the Stones on my IPOD. I went around the walk by the park three times, which is close to two miles at a rapid clip keeping time with the music. It was fun. There were a lot of mothers there in their lawn chairs watching their daughters play softball. I was happy to be moving.

In the past, several years ago, I lived in another city in the Midwest, and I decided to take a walk every night when I got home from work. At six o'clock sharp, I would leave the back door, no matter what the weather, and a lot of the time I walked to Paul Simon's Graceland. That music has a wonderful beat for walking. I walked every day for a year to the Lake Michigan shoreline and back, and at the end of the time, I was up to a fast four mile walk in less than a hour, and sometimes I took TWO four mile walks in a day. At that time I even ran part of the way I felt so good.

I look back on those days and wish I had never stopped walking those miles, but things change, and other stuff rises in the priority list. Now I feel the beginnings of aches and pains, maybe arthritis, and I'm bound and determined to make myself feel better. Walking is great exercise.

I'm committed again to walking every day and my goal is to get up to four miles again. I also just plain want to feel better and get my butt moving after sitting at a computer all day. This is the second day of my journey. I'm wringing wet. But it is fun to listen to music like Madonna and Mick Jagger and walk fast to the beat.

It's a good habit and I'm keeping it!

Have a great Friday. TGIF.