Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Last night I was creating folders to store all the pictures I have saved on my computer. In the course of this, I found out that I have 1,549 pictures saved under "My Pictures". I was going along happily, filing them into categories like Flowers, Family and Jewelry. Then I had a few left that I really didn't need anymore, so I highlighted them with the mouse, and scrolled down and hit "delete". I thought. Evidently, in the deleting process of holding down the mouse and clicking on lots of pictures, I was actually copying them. And copied. And copied. Then, I noticed that I had Copy #50 of one shot. I was frantic. But it was very late. Oh dear.

I worked for 30 minutes to try to correct this mistake and finally had to give up and just go to bed. I wish George was here. He would know what to do.

And then, it struck me. This is just like Walt Disney's Fantasia and the Sorcerer's Apprentice. Instead of brooms and buckets of water, my gremlin is making copies of my pictures, and they just flood in. I have now made about 50 copies of each of these pictures. Something I am doing with the scroll and right click is actually making copies instead of waiting for me to delete.

It is a problem for another day. Come home, George, before I flood myself in pictures!

Have a great day.