Thursday, August 04, 2005

Aloha!

George found out this week that he gets to go to Hawaii for a week on a business trip. Who wouldn't be a little jealous of that? I will not go this trip, but hopefully, if he gets to go back in October I may be able to go then. He will only be there 6 days, and if I go on that long flight, I would like to spend a little more time that that. He had a hard time getting a hotel reservation yesterday. Most hotels in Honolulu wanted $400 for a room, and his budget was a lot less than that. Finally he got a room at the Hilton and will leave next Wednesday. I will miss him while he is gone.

I will be home feeding the birds, watering the flowers, and petting Thunder. My next trip will be to Oklahoma in September to see my mother, and the fares are very low right now from Boston to Washington DC, so maybe Mike will come to visit me here soon. It seems to me that the summer is just racing by. We haven't been to the ocean once this summer. The heat and humidity descended on us and we just stay close to the air conditioner I guess. I'm not much of a swimmer anyway, and we don't venture into the ocean any more but leave that to the children and younger folks. Finding parking anywhere near the ocean in the summer in Massachusetts is no small problem unless you go to the beach on a weekday morning.

I think this weekend would be a good time to drive to Plum Island near Ipswitch on the ocean and do a little birdwatching. They have plovers and sandpipers and ibis and other exotic birds that are fun to look for. I really love to walk the sand and look for pretty shells and driftwood. Once in awhile I find a piece of beach glass. One of George's first gifts to me was a pair of binoculars which I love. One fall weekend we went to Halibut Point and saw Harlequin Ducks dipping up and down in the cold ocean waves.

Have a good day.