Thursday, August 11, 2005

Living alone

George has only been gone a day and a night and already I have learned some things about living alone. First, no one cares what time you go to bed. I managed to get into bed by eleven, which George would call "Oh Dark Hundred". Also, no one cares if you lie in bed watching the Sox game until 10:30 eating gummy bears. And earlier, I had learned that you can have dinner without eating your vegetables: all I had was baked salmon. No rice, no potatoes, no vegetables. And because I was too lazy to get out the ice cream (that's lazy!), I had a banana for dessert.

George called at ten and said that he was in Hawaii, standing by his rental car at Avis. He said the temperature was 89 degrees and it was windy. He said it was so windy that the plane on final approach was rather slammed to earth, after it had already landed, like it was picked up by a gust and then put down again. But all it well, his luggage got there. He had only forty minutes in Dallas and his plane had a delay because there was no gate ready. He said he ran down the 20 gates or so to his connecting flight with the loudspeaker announcing, "If you are flying to Honolulu, you should be on board now, this is the final boarding call." He ran. He made it. He was the last one on. And then, he said the pilot announced, "well folks, we'll be leaving the gate shortly, it seems we have to wait for some luggage." George said he knew who that luggage belonged to!

This morning I made the bed, fed the birds, put water in the bird baths, had my breakfast and I'm off to work. I wonder what flavor of gummy bears I should have tonight for dinner?

Have a great day.