Thursday, February 22, 2007

Obviously I'm out of it

Every day I hear ads for cell phones and computers that advertise that you need this product so you can record and share music with your friends. That is a concept that is totally foreign to me. I thought the reason we have IPODS and head phones is that we DON'T have to share music with anyone...we can listen to what we like all by ourselves. Marching along to the tune of our own drummers is the point, I thought. Connectivity seems to be what companies are selling...ways in which we can use technology to share with others what used to make us happy to have all by ourselves.

I think that technology is the horse that has gotten out of the barn. Now we have to catch it and see how we can sell it. Surfing the net, watching movies, TV, and sharing music through my cell phone is just a concept that I don't understand. I don't even like it much when the darn thing rings! I can never imagine wanting to share my music with with my friends on my cell phone , saying to George, "Hey, listen to this." It must be a teen thing. Just another way to have something to talk about? Or just another way for a company to sell something more that mom and dad will have to pay for.

Dell's TV ads say that with the new Vista operating system and their new computer you can watch TV, movies and "share music" with your friends. No thanks. Underneath all the buzz about Vista operating system is that everyone who wants to use it will need a new computer.

Do I sound out of it? Probably.

Have a great day.