Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Everything Soup

I try hard not to call the soup I love to make "kitchen sink soup". It is basically the only soup that I make from scratch. The fact is, that it is so good, there isn't much need to make another kind of soup. It is chicken vegetable soup, but the special thing is that I use so many kinds of fresh veggies.

Today I am making soup for 20 people or so for the Lenten Soup Supper at church tonight at 6:30. I made chicken stock yesterday with a whole chicken. George and I had poached chicken for dinner last night with noodles and mixed vegetables. Now, that's comfort food! Today I drained the stock and added all the vegetables. The list is long, and it is the reason that this soup is not only my favorite, but very good besides!

List: parsnips, carrots, squash, garbanzo beans, green beans, cabbage, carrots, onion, tomatoes with chilis, turnips, broccoli, potatoes and chard. ALL those fresh vegetables (and a small can of diced tomatoes) makes this soup really really healthy and really delicious. I have made it many times in my life, and it just gets better.

I am going to serve this soup with Panera bread, whole wheat bread, oyster crackers and corn bread. Brownies will be the dessert. Oh yeah.

Have a great day!