Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Bead Show Adventure

Yesterday George and I drove to Marlborough to go to a bead expo. This is a big hotel, with suites down a long hallway and in each suite there are one or two or three vendors selling beads and all things about beads. George stayed in the car to do some church work, and take a nap. I ventured in and spent a happy hour looking and buying some beautiful new beads. As I was shopping in one store, another shopper reminded me that there were even better prices at "the bead show down the road." I had been there before on another trip, and even though I hadn't planned to go to another show, I thought...why not. I put some things down and went to look for George.

Then the adventure started. I went to the big doors and looked out into the parking lot. No George. I waited. I didn't have my coat, and it was about 7 degrees with the windchill, but I ventured out to the parking lot and looked around. No George. So I shopped a little more. I tried to find a chair so I could rest a little, but there were no chairs. I waited at the door under the heater. I shopped a little more. I waited some more. Finally, George came walking up the walk and I was saved.

We got into the car. The lights had been left on and the car wouldn't start. George pushed us out of the parking place and the car started nicely as we rolled down a small incline. We decided to go to the other bead show.

We pulled up to the big expo center at another hotel down the road and George said that he needed to get gas, so he would just drop me off. I left my coat in the car again. He drove away and I happily walked into the big hall. There was a big sign that said, "Fly Fishing Expo, Tickets here." I was in a big hall with a bunch of men, all shopping for flies and rods!! I couldn't even get in to wait, because I didn't want to buy a ticket. So, coatless, I had to stand outside the front of the hall and wait for George again! Luckily, the sun was shining and it was relatively warm, but I had had more than my share of waiting in the cold already. Fishing! I couldn't believe it.

When we go to New Hampshire I take my fly fishing rod. I know little about it, but I swipe it back and forth a few times just to see if I can avoid the bushes and trees. Here I was surrounded by men who knew a lot more about it than I did. I stood in the sun and hoped that some of their expertise would rub off. But I wanted beads!

George wasn't long, I flagged him down before he turned for the huge parking lot, and we treated ourselves to a coke and a hamburger. I told him that I wasn't leaving his side again that day!

Have a wonderful Sunday. Go Pats!