Monday, November 06, 2006

Time to go home

I will be leaving tomorrow morning to go back home to Boston. Mom is much better, and we have lined up a whole group of people who will be coming in at various times of the day to do things for her. She and I are being very stoic about my leaving, but both of us have learned to enjoy living together, and it has been a wonderful time to be together. She and I made cell phone cases that I will sell at the upcoming craft fairs. She does the crocheting part and I weave them together and decorate them. This little job has been just right to keep her busy.

Life will be slow for her, but she will manage. She wants to live in her own home, and my being here has made that possible--not a small thing. We have both seen what it is like to live at a nursing center, and there isn't much fun there, that is for sure. In fact, when she was in the center, she was alone alot there too...since the care is sporatic, and the nurses attention is hard to come by. It is hard being 96, and I have learned that well as I lived here with her. She has her work cut out for her to be successful at making her own meals and taking care of herself during the hours when no one is here. God bless her, and I hope she continues to get stronger.

Life in Boston is going to be busy for me. I have a lot of irons in the fire, and they have been heating up, even as I'm cooling my heels here in Oklahoma. Time to get back to my own life. The sweet part will be getting on the airplane tomorrow, but the bitter part will be leaving my mom here by herself. It has been wonderful. I'm lucky to have had the chance to be here.

See you in Boston.