Saturday, November 11, 2006

Highway Robbery

George and I drove to Mystic, Connecticut today. On our way, we drove past a Congregational Church in Preston, Connecticut that was having a craft sale. We decided to stop in and see what they had to offer. At the door, two nice ladies said, "oh good, you're just in time for the raffle." I felt that the least I could do was buy a few raffle tickets. I asked how much, and she said, "three for a dollar, or a whole arm's length for $5." That description was so tempting...I bought an "arm's worth". George and I quickly tore them apart and added them to the 15 or so baskets of prizes that were in the hall. The largest basket, of course, had the largest number of raffle tickets in the bag, so I just added one ticket to that one. I put most of our tickets in the bags that had the fewest tickets already, meaning my odds were better to win a small basket of stationery and thank you cards, or the basket of garden gloves and bulbs.

We walked through the craft show in a few minutes and they started the raffle. First drawing..nothing...second drawing...nope, not us...third drawing etc. Then LOW and behold...they draw for the biggest basket of all, one called "Snowed In",...and WE WON!!! Everyone was floored. Here two strangers walk in at the last minute and we walk off with the biggest basket that people had had their eyes on all day!

We left with our basket and giggled all the way to the car. I couldn't help but think that we robbed them. We even felt a little guilty. But it was so much fun.

The basket contains the games; Monopoly, Clue & Sorry, as well as popcorn, cookies, soda, and I don't know what all. It is fun and they were robbed :-).

Have a great evening.