Monday, October 17, 2005

The Uff Da Shop

"Uff Da" is the Norwegian exclamation when something untoward happens. Like taking two wrong turns getting out of the airport, or having a wet fish drop in your lap, or taking a minor slip on the ice. "Uff Da".

There is an Uff Da Shop in Red Wing, Minnesota and I veered off the road (Uff Da) to find a parking place as soon as I saw it yesterday. I remember this shop from when I was here 25 years ago and I was happy to look around. The prices are much higher than then, but it is fun to see all the Scandanavian design Christmas ornaments and candle holders, the hand knitted Norwegian sweaters ($385) and they had a plate of lefsa on the counter to snack on. Lefsa is a Norwegian potato pancake like a potato tortilla, and we always had it on Christmas Eve. Yesterday I wasn't hungry enough for even a taste since I had just stopped at MacDonalds. Uff Da.

I bought an Uff Da magnet for my mom's refrigerator, and some pretty napkins for my cousin for a housewarming gift (small) and will probably go back today for another treat or two. It is a beautiful shop. I saw they are selling knitted mohair tams for $42.50. I am in the wrong business. Uff Da.

The bluffs along the Mississippi River in Red Wing are in fall regalia and are gorgeous and I just have to see more of them. This part of the country is really God's country. From the airplane window yesterday, on a clear sunshiny day, Minneapolis was beautiful, with those 1,000 lakes sparkling in the sun. It looked like heaven.

Today is the visitation for my Aunt Laddie and I'm looking forward to joining the crowds of people who called her best friend and favorite aunt.

She was an angel in God's country!

Have a great day.