Monday, October 04, 2004

Quiet as a rainbow

Today I am home in the quiet of my house. Yesterday morning, as I was getting ready to leave for church, I reached into the backseat of my car to get a jacket and when I pulled back out, my back ...stopped working. I don't know why they call it "throwing your back out." But, that is what I did. I have backaches from normal wear and tear all the time, but this is a bit on the south side of normal. I have spent the better part of the day reading on the heating pad. It is the only place where I feel really good. Golly daytime TV is depressing. Rather than watching soaps or commercials, I was watching Fox for a minute while they waited for Mt. St. Helens to blow, and then it did! Behold, now we get to watch commentators standing in front of pictures of Mt. St. Helens talking about whether it is going to blow higher and harder. In short, they want to know if anyone is going to get killed so they will have a bigger story. Watching dust and ash billow is not my idea of exciting TV, but it is on every channel.

One time I had a friend who went on a safari in Africa. Out on the Range Rovers, he said they sat in the sun and watched wild animals graze. He said it wasn't much different than standing at his farm in Indiana watching cows eat. Pretty boring he said, after the first five minutes. I suppose if you were Fox news on a safari, they would wonder when the rhinos were going to charge the jeeps.

So, now I am listening to the quiet of my thoughts and watching the rainbow on my walls created by my solar-powered window prism going round. It is more fun than watching cows graze.