Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Mercy!

I just returned from Oklahoma where I spent five days at Mercy Hospital with my mother, who has pneumonia and had two heart episodes brought on by lack of potassium--a very dangerous situation indeed. She was transferred to a skilled nursing facility near her home, and I was without the internet while I was visiting her there. She is better. Neither of us was happy about her living in a facility for the time being, and both of us shed tears. But we lived through it, and her job is to work with the physical and speech therapists for two weeks and then I will go back to spend another week with her. Letting go and letting someone else take care of her was very hard for me. I hope and pray that she will be ok.

Living with the internet was almost impossible for me. If I have any "free" time, I like to commune with my friends on Ebay, and check my listings, etc. Not having any email or access made me feel very cut off. George and I are shopping for laptops so that won't happen again.

The weather is lovely and sunny in Oklahoma. The problem there is lack of rain. The grass is dry, the weather is dry, and there is no rain in the forecast. The farmers are hauling hay to the fields for the cattle and we saw many trucks with hay bales on the back. It is a disaster there if they don't get rain soon. And fire is a real threat. No smoking outside any facilities or stores, with signs of High Fire Alert all over the place.

I am home, where I hope to get a home-cooked meal for the first time in 9 days, and get a little rest as well as catch up with things at work.

Have a great day.