Friday, February 10, 2006

A conversation with my Mom

This blog might turn into a conversation about my mother and her recovery from pneumonia, but that is what I am thinking about, so that is what I talk about. I was able to have them bring her to the phone in the library of the nursing center last night, and I called promptly at 6 p.m. I hear "Hello!". It is my mom's strong voice. I was much relieved! She said that they never seem to run out of fruit cocktail, that they have that at almost every meal; that she had a delicious root beer float that afternoon; that she has almost too many visitors; that she walks crooked and they don't know why; that she had a nice bubble bath--all good things.

When I left Oklahoma, my mom and I said a prayer together, in which we said that we would ask for help finding the "good" in this place, and not concentrate on the "bad". I was very concerned about my mom losing interest or becoming depressed. She has had such a busy and full life in her own home. She said, "Did you hear about the nurse?" I said "no." Mom said that she ran into a nurse who refused her the juice she wants to take her pills, and she held her ground and refused to take the pills without it. The nurse got a supervisor, who brought the juice. Mom won. Hurray for mom!

Mike sent a big basket of flowers which made quite an impression. They are bright orange, pink and red carnations, a flower my mom likes because they don't die fast. I happen to be allergic to lilies and once was almost brought down by a bouquet of lilies that someone sent to my room when I was recovering from surgery. So, carnations seem to be the best choice to us. Thanks to Mike, mom has a really bright spot in her room. They also brought in a TV. Mom said the "man" came to ask if she wanted a TV, and she responded, "Well, I'd like to watch the news!". She is so alert and savvy for 96, it is not hard to see why I'm just crazy about her. The book she was reading when she got sick was the biography of Winston Churchill that Mike gave her at Christmas. She made a grand slam at the bridge table three weeks ago at the senior center. She is an amazing woman. I love her so much.

So, that is it from the homefront today. A big snowstorm heading for Boston this Saturday, so we postponed the Hearts (card game) Party at church for a week. I'm planning a quiet weekend of making jewelry and enjoying some creative moments.

Have a great day.