Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Cooking for folks = happy

Today I woke up to the smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. George was in the kitchen at 7 a.m. making cookies to give to our friends. Today I am racing home after work to prepare chicken breasts and rice and broccoli to take to my my friend's house tonight after work. I only have about 30 minutes to make the dinner so it has to be fast. I gave Dave a bag of cookies this morning and his eyes lit up. George makes wonderful cookies.

Sunday morning at church we are coffee hosts and I will make three bundt cakes. I don't know why, but I really enjoy making these cakes, and they are too big to make unless you are feeding a crowd. One will be sour cream blueberry and the other will be cinnamon streusal, and I don't know what else. George has become quite the host since I met him, and knows all about finding the right size box, packing up food for transport, and hosting one function or another. I don't know why, but we really enjoy cooking for others and hosting things. My philosophy is if it is worth doing, it is worth doing well. We have fun doing it well.

On February 12th, a Saturday night, we are hosting a Hearts card party at church that is an annual event. People bring card tables, snacks and desserts, and at the end of the evening we crown a King and Queen of Hearts. Whoever wins wears their crown at church the next morning, and it is all a lot of fun.

Cooking and volunteering to help others seems to be what is making me happy these days. I just feel very grateful that I am able and willing to do it.

Have a great day.