Sunday, March 13, 2005

Learning about slippers

I sent a pair of slippers to my mom yesterday. If you have been following this, you know that my mom has requested that I make a pair of slippers for her friend. I have worked on slippers, developing and tweaking the pattern, for two weekends now. Yesterday I finished one test pair and mailed it to her, but they are too feminine for her friend, and one is a little bigger than the other--not right yet. George is now wearing a "test" pair of man's slippers but they are not as heavy as they need to be to match the old slipper that I am using as a "guide". They do seem to be working--which means staying on his feet when he walks. He says they are so light weight that you don't know you are wearing anything. Actually, I hate to admit it, but I am becoming quite attached to making slippers. I can finish a pair in about four hours. I am wearing this gray pair, made with rag wool and topped with a fuzzy ball. (I like my slippers with a fuzzy "girly" ball--not everyone's taste I'm sure.) Today I will go to buy the yarn that will be the final pair for mom's friend. I hope.

I am really developing a lot more respect for people who knit for hire.

Have a great sunday. Today we play a rather difficult piece in the bell choir and I have to go to church early to rehearse.