Monday, March 14, 2005

A $1100 day

Today I take my car to the bodyshop to fix the back bumper. Three months ago I backed into a telephone pole, and decided to wait until the winter was over before I got it fixed, in case someone else slid into me in bad weather. That was George's idea. Sure enough, two weeks ago, we watched in the parking lot at the flying club auction, as one of George's friends backed right into me. Another bump on the bumper. The cost for replacing this bit of scratched and cracking paint is $750.00. Due today.

I also pick up my new glasses today. Another $393.00. Oh well, I will be able to see when the bank statements come in anyway.

These are the three slippers that I finished yesterday. The dark one is THE man's pair that I will finish and ship to Oklahoma to my mom, fulfilling my slipper obligation. I'm glad to have them done. They are kinda cute. When I told my friend about this slipper knitting marathon of two weekends, she said, "why don't you just go to K-Mart and buy him some slippers." Ha. Not the same thing. Hand knitted clothing and bought clothing are in two separate categories--no comparison. One is about time and love and the other is about necessity. But knitting because you feel you "have to", isn't my favorite thing. I did learn a lot, and got a shapely sole on the slipper through a series of increases and decreases and I have a nice pair of prototype slippers to put on when I come home from work. Good think I don't knit for a living though. I think it would take a lot of knitting to make $1100.

Have a great day.