Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Count them blessings

I went to the eye doctor yesterday. My eyes have been dry and red, and even though I use Refresh eyedrops several times each day to moisturize them, they don't seem to be much better. After I made the appointment, I got worried. What if I have another kind of problem, or come home with an eyepatch? What is that red spot that happens on my right eye? What if he says not to wear make-up, that I am allergic to it, and I have to go around with nude eyes? All those what-ifs started.

I brought along a list of medications that I take and he checked them. One of them does cause dry eyes. He checked for glaucoma, and all the other things they check for, and said my eyes were fine. Oh good. He made an appointment with an eye surgeon to put tiny plugs in my tear ducts, so that the moisture doesn't drain away from my eyes, and I will see him next week. I have never heard of this procedure before but the lady at the glasses shop I met later told me she had it done and loved the results. Who knew?

Then he said that my prescription has changed and I can get new glasses. I am always happy when he says that. It has been three years since I have needed new glasses and it is time for a change. Since I have only worn glasses recently, as an adult, I am happy to wear them. I am just grateful I have them so that I can see to read.

On the way home, with eyes still dilated, I went to the opthamologist here in town and worked with a nice young lady to find new glasses frames. She seemed to catch the drift right away. Now that I am a red-head, I wanted a change. We picked out a slender pair of gunmetal gray glasses with five tiny rhinestones on the side. They are cute. Maybe not what a grandmother should wear...but I'm not a grandmother...so go for it! They will be ready in a week and I can't wait.

So, protect those peepers, and I'll see you tomorrow.