Saturday, February 16, 2008

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda....

I just drove home from the sports club after my workout, and realized that I did it all wrong. I should have married a trainer. I signed up for five more hour long expensive sessions against the advice of almost everyone I know. I am convinced that, for me, this is the right thing to do. George has joined a health club too, and my club is offering friends sessions for the rest of this month, so I intend on bringing him in to work out with me.

I have been working out at the health club for a month and a half and I have learned many things. The first thing I have learned is that without a trainer to tell me what to do next, and to encourage me to do more, I would already be floundering. I have learned that being tired is no excuse not to go. When I am tired, and I trudge up those stairs to the cardio bike, I think I am not going to live another minute. After five minutes of warm up at a very reasonable pace, I crank up that machine and my legs just want to move! My tired goes away, my body heats up, the sweat starts to drip, and thoughts of how tired I am fly out the window.

I have learned also that sweating is fun. Who knew? This beautiful cold Saturday morning, I worked on the cardio bike for 40 minutes, listening to some great tunes like Cajun classics, Aaron Neville and Prince. I really had fun! It was hard not to exceed every limit that I have ever had, and my heart rate was faster, my pace was faster, I burned 250 calories (or so) and I felt really great! Then I did 30 minutes on the treadmill simply because I didn't want the music to stop.

I have learned that I can't listen to my head, or anyone else's head either. I have to listen to my body. I don't listen when people at work tell me about their workouts, or their spinning classes, or their trips to the health club so they can sit in the sauna or do yoga. I don't listen to the advice of anyone but the person I pay to help me. A whole new world of exercise is opening up to me. I don't want to tell anyone how much I enjoy lifting weights. I love the burn, the challenge, and I love thinking about it afterwards. Me, of all people, lifting weights! If only I knew that it would be so much fun!

Have a great day!