Friday, February 15, 2008

Aloha!

This morning at 5:00, George left for Hawaii. Without me. We wish him a safe and happy trip. In his suitcase is an American Girl doll for my grand-niece, a pair of binoculars for my nephew and a pretty white embroidered bag for the baby. My niece and her husband are stationed in Hawaii and George gets to visit with them. Seems to me like everyone is going to enjoy the beauty and fun and warm climes of Hawaii, while Thunder and I enjoy....living alone in the cold northeast.

I'm not going to cry. The house is already too quiet. I have made plans to keep myself busy. I will spend longer hours at the health club, and maybe even try out that sauna that everyone seems so keen on. I will eat healthy salads. I know just where to buy a delicious grilled chicken salad on my way home from work. Who wants to cook for one? I am hostess of the Hearts card party at church on Saturday night, so that will get me up and laughing. I have several knitting projects to finish and a good movie, Elizabeth, The Golden Age, with Cate Blanchett, on it's way from Netflix.

George and I finally finished watching the whole series of Deadwood on Netflix. We started before Christmas, had a marathon of watching Deadwood at Mike's house at Christmastime, and just finished on Monday night. It was great. I fell in love with the character of Calamity Jane. The ending was anticlimactic, like they didn't know what to do with the story after all that time, but, so what, it's all about the journey, not the destination.

Unless you're on your way to Hawaii today. Weep.