Friday, May 25, 2007

To each his own



Yesterday I put 15 items up for auction on my Treasures From My Home site on Ebay. I started auctioning items that I have collected over the years on Ebay about two years ago. It has been a fun experience. Selling "stuff" on Ebay is actually easier than selling jewelry on Ebay. And it is amazing how much stuff I have collected that I could just as easily live without. Over the years I have acquired a lot of fun and interesting items that need to find a new home, and Ebay seems to be the road to take.

Yesterday I listed these chicken ceramics that I bought at the Fenton Glass Factory Sale in West Virginia about three years ago. It was a hot summer day and there was a huge tent full of glass and sculptures...maybe the heat got to me...but home with me these chickens did come.

I put them up for sale for $12 yesterday--a reasonable price for a couple of clucks--and boom...I had three watchers within minutes. There are folks out there who really love chickens I guess. It felt a little like having buyers standing out in your yard waiting for the yard sale to begin. Those chickens weren't on the list more than 10 minutes before they got their first watcher.

Getting interested buyers that quick motivated me to list another 14 items. It was 20 cent listing day, so it was cheap, and I had the time, and I even found some "new with tags" clothes that I no longer want to wear. It took an hour to sell a red blouse, NWT (new with tags), about the same time as it took me to take a picture and list it.

I am also selling one of my beautiful Hermes scarves. They now cost $450 new, and I'm afraid I may get kidnapped if I wear one on the street. They are too expensive and "show-offy" to wear to work, and I haven't worn mine in years. I have four of them that I bought when I lived in Chicago and they were a lot less pricey. So, I listed one, an Aztec print in navy, gold, white and hot pink, for $200, and I expect the bidding will go up from there.

I'd rather have the money to spend on beads at the Bead and Button Show than get kidnapped!

Have a great day!