Saturday, June 24, 2006

Pre-vacation vacation

This coming week is the week before the 4th of July holiday, and everyoe walks around in holiday mood. One year, before I met George, I lived in a condo not far from a small lake. The lake is usually the place where hundreds of people go each day to do their daily walk. It is not crowded, but there are always people around. That year, I had the whole four days of the 4th of July holiday to spend by myself. I took a book and my lawnchair and sat down at the lake, and there was NO ONE around. It was as if I was up in the netherlands of Maine rather than a small lake very near Boston. It was rather lonely in fact. Life changes had brought me there, and life changes brought me away from there, and I have never had a 4th of July holiday alone since!

This year George and I are going to First Connecticut Lake, way up at the tip of New Hampshire for our annual week at the cabin. It is a lovely place, very serene and quiet, and we love it there. We can take a boat out to fish, but mostly we do a lot of loon watching with our binoculars at the ready. One year we actually caught a fish in that deep lake, but it is hard, and that was a real fluke. We fish off the dock and have more luck there, but never keep what we catch. It is a beautiful place, and fun to read, cook, hike around a bit, take drives to see the countryside, and every night we go on the "moose tour", where you drive 10 miles an hour at the most up and down the local road, and see the moose that come out every night. Every night they are there, but you never know where exactly, so it is always exciting.

After that vacation, we are going to take another week and sandwich visits to the Washington DC area to visit son Michael's new house, and drive to Dayton, Ohio to the air museum. Vacation, vacation, vacation. Say yes to vacation. I'm ready!

Have a great day.