Thursday, March 09, 2006

No news is good news

I talked to mom on the phone last night. She said she had lots of stories to tell me about things around there, but she couldn't write them all down, and that she couldn't tell me on the phone. I told her to keep up her journal and we'd share them when I got there. Living around other people gives her a lot of stories to tell. She tells me what she says to crack up the other ladies at her dining table. She told me that the huge TV set in the main room by the nurses station fell to the floor and broke to smithereens. She said it scared everybody. I wonder how that happened. She told me that someone came and brought her more oranges, so she has them on her window sill. She said she is still working hard at therapy and is up to 2 pound weights on her ankles and arms. At 96, I think she is doing a lot more exercise than I do!

Winter is leaving and Spring is coming and it is time to look outside and see the birdies congregated around the seed feeders and dream of pretty plants out on the deck. Seed catalogs are arriving, and George and I are starting to plan our garden. Each year it is different. Last year we planted butterfly bushes and tomatoes. Soon we will see if Chuckie the woodchuck that lives under our garage is still here. He is a maddening little fellow, and I'm hoping that he has found a new home somewhere else.

No big news today, for which I am very grateful.

Have a good day.