Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A little variety

This week I was asked to cover the reception desk at another program. It is a nice thing to have a new place to report to in the morning, and it is nice to learn a new job. I will be there for a week, and then am taking off for Oklahoma to bring my mom home from the nursing center. She is happy to "break of this joint" as she so aptly puts it. We will work on getting meals and services for her at home, and hope that she complys with others ideas of what is good for her. She is of sound mind, and at 96, is a formidable presence. What she wants, she wants.

We will be grateful today, for the nice Boston day, with no snow or rain, and for the beginning of Spring. Mom tells me that in Oklahoma the redbuds are in bloom, and I will have to remember that when I pack and not take my winter sweaters. No one wears brown, or black, there, and those are the staples of my wardrobe. I have to try to remember what 70 degrees feels like and pack accordingly. Spring in Oklahoma lasts for months and is really beautiful. Spring in Boston comes late and lasts about a week, and then it is summer. It goes from too cold to too hot. And that's a fact.

Have a great day. Take time to smell the roses.