Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Christmas at our house

This Christmas, I really wanted to be relaxed, and not hectic and hurried. I think I almost accomplished that. Mike arrived on Thursday, and we had an easy dinner out. Friday was last minute Christmas shopping until the stores got crowded and the parking lots were filling up. We retreated to our house, and I made a turkey dinner with all the trimmings so that we would have yummy leftovers and I wouldn't need to cook on Christmas Eve day. George and I made two batches of cookies: spritz with color sugars, and a new recipe for date/pecan refrigerator cookies. Both were delicious. We ran out of time before we got to the sugar cookes and the gingerbread boys. Frankly, since I also made an apple pie, we didn't need any more cookies for three people!!!

We went out for a Chinese dinner on Christmas Eve and then to church for the 10:00 service where I played in the bell choir. We stayed up until after midnight! That is a big deal for George and I...the early to bedders.

Christmas Eve day I had a chance to knit on a new stole, and I continued with that relaxing project all through the weekend. I'm halfway done. Christmas Day, George went to church, and Mike and I had a leisurely breakfast, and then we opened some really beautiful gifts. George got a new digital camera, we got lots of wonderful movies and books, and I got a strand of beautiful pearls. There is more. The list is long. I knew I had accomplished my goal of a relaxing weekend, when I found myself lying on the couch reading my new book that Mike gave me, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, on Christmas afternoon. Bliss.

Christmas Day was a nice Honey Baked Ham dinner with cinnamon apples, tossed salad, baked potatoes, and Honey Baked beans, with a friend invited to help us eat it, and all enjoyed another day that seemed well-planned and not hectic at all. Christmas was like clockwork this year.

The whole Christmas weekend was like that. The weather was mild, the presents were plentiful and wrapped well before Christmas morning (unlike some years), and the food was planned to be delicious but not to keep a cook in the kitchen the whole time.

Tonight we have company invited for turkey and ham sandwiches, Baked Beans, Christmas cookies, leftover cheesecake and apple pie. We even have efficient plans for the leftovers.

Have a merry day.