Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving Trip to Washington

George and I left on Monday afternoon for Washington DC, and I am writing this blog entry from my son Michael's house in Alexandria, VA. We had a good trip, after a rather rocky start. There seemed to be a lot to do to get ready, and I had several packages to get into the mail. It is my mother's 96th Birthday on November 30th, and I had several birthday presents, as well as Ebay shipments to get out to the post office. I had to go to work on Monday, because our office had just moved, and that was stressful. The house had to be ready for the house cleaners, the bags needed to be packed, and to top it all off, George had a toothache.

George called for an emergency appointment with his dentist for Monday noon, and when I called him later in the day, he was home. Guess what. He'd had a root canal! I thought that would lay one up for weeks, but George is a trooper. He and the dentist both decided that he was fine, and it would be no problem to leave on a long car trip, so that is what we did! What a guy!

We packed up the car, and left at 4:00, drove to Fishkill, NY and stayed at a nice Hampton Inn where we had made reservations, and then drove through New Jersey and Delaware yesterday and got to Mike's house at 3:30. It rained a lot both days of driving, but it didn't seem to dampen our spirits one bit. We were shaved, showered and breakfasted and on the road by 7:15 on Tuesday morning. It was a very nice drive and we enjoyed seeing all the ducks in the fields in Deleware. I hope they have a good Thanksgiving too, but they sure looked like cannon fodder to me. It must be hunting season there, and I've never seen so many low flying ducks and geese.

We drove into Mike's parking are, just as he came home from work to meet us. We always have a great time here. We went for Japanese food last night, and tonight will meet Michelle for dinner and have Thanksgiving dinner at her parents house in Maryland. I have not met them and I'm really excited! We stopped at an outlet mall and went to Pfaltzcraft for a gift. I bought a cheese tray and knife, and we bought several nice cheeses to go with it. Today we will go to Panera for bread and crackers. A visit to the flower store will be on the "to do" list for today for flowers for Michelle's mom.

I'm also baking an apple pie to take tomorrow and brought along the beautiful huge gold Mutsu apples form New Hampshire to make a pie that is really special!

Have a GREAT THANKSGIVING everyone.