Thursday, November 03, 2005

"More caffeine?" "Yes, please."

My mother took me aside when I was at her house in Oklahoma. Taking me by the shoulders, and looking at me square in the eyes, she said, "Yvonne, you are drinking too much caffeine." She really took exception to my preference for dark coffee. She likes her coffee rather caramel colored, so you can see thought it. I like mine so you can stand a spoon up straight in it, as they said in cowboy times.

I know that everyone in Massachusetts is addicted to Dunkin' Donuts coffee. It is not hard to tell that, since there is a Dunkin on every corner. I got used to having a medium tall coffee every morning, and now that is a very hard habit to break. Today I went until 10 without coffee, and then broke down and walked to the convenience store for a coffee. Aha! They had run out of regular roast, and had Pumpkin. It was GREAT! I now have a new addiction--pumpkin flavored coffee.

I take mine with a little real half and half. That too, is probably not a good thing, since that little bit of cream every day adds up in unneeded calories. But, that too is something I like which I am not ready to give up.

My mother is much better at giving up things than I am. Hence, she is going to celebrate her 96th birthday at the end of this month. She gave up sugar in her tea and cream in her coffee years ago. Now she uses plain iced tea, with nothing in it, a habit I can hardly think about. She gave up desserts recently when they started monitoring her blood sugar. "No thank you" are her favorite three words I guess. Mine are "Bring it on!"

Have a great day!